A few questions – CARNAC
Ave, can you introduce your band to our readers? – When was it founded and what style of music do you play , etc. ?
- Sure thing! We are Carnac, a death metal band from Turkey and I’m Baybora Topaloğlu, the band’s drummer. The band was formed in 2014 and our first official work, “The Frail Sight” EP, came out in 2015. We play death metal with hints of melodic death and black metal.
Where and under what conditions were you recording the new album? Who was in charge of sound, production and mastering?
- Everything was recorded at home in a single month. The production was handled by us and the mix & mastering was handled by Bahadır Sarp.
How many copies were released and which medium was used for this new edition (CD, digital, vinyl, cassette)?
- We released the EP on digital platform only, but there are plans to distribute it in CD format.
Who is the author of the lyrics and how were they created and about what do the lyrics deal with ?
- The lyrics on Hericide, Debaser and Servant to the Void were written by me and the lyrics on Menhirs of Enmity were written by our bass player Ünal Akünal. Each song deals with something different: Hericide deals with the exile and death of a lord in a forest, Menhirs of Enmity deals with the story of Carnac (the commune that the band got its name from), Debaser deals with people who do not struggle for their goals and therefore get rightfully humiliated and Servant to the Void deals with a man getting stuck in a cave and slowly embracing the darkness around him.
Who created the logo of the band, and who took care of the graphics and the website? What about you and social networks? Do you consider these things important?
- The logo was created by me and the artwork was handled by French artist Leoncio Harmr. While we do not have a website yet, we certainly believe that social media plays a huge role in today’s music industry. It is one of the most important factors in making a name for yourself.
Which label did you choose for releasing your album and why this label? Are you satisfied by how your label represents you and takés care about you?
- The EP is a self-release. Though we are currently working on a record deal for the album.
Which bands do you idolise and where do you get your inspiration?
- Everyone in the band listens to a lot of music. Not just metal too, we listen to a lot of rock, ambient and soundtrack material. Though we still embrace metal the most. I can count bands like Death, Gojira, At the Gates, Opeth and Enslaved as our main influences, but I think that our music cannot really be described as “sounds like band X” or “this is totally band Y” and I love this aspect.
Did you send your record to some Labels - which are the labels? How was the response?
- We sent the EP to every label we have already known or newly discovered. While there wasn’t a lot of response, one of them was enough to discuss a deal and we already reached an agreement.
How many gigs have you played? Which type of gigs do you prefer, whether it's (clubs or festivals) and which of your performances would you consider as the best?
- We only played one gig up until now, it was amazing. Even we were shocked at how good everything was, we were totally expecting big flaws since it was our first gig haha. We are yet to play a festival, but as long as there are available gigs, the stage really does not matter. We just want to go out and play, no matter where and when.
What about your plans for the future? What do you want to achieve with the band?
- We are currently halfway through with the writing process of our first full-length. We are expecting to start its recording in summer and release it before the end of 2016. We are kind of taking our time with it, because we want it to be the best of what we can do and we want it to officially present us to the world. Until the release and after it, we want to constantly play shows.
How and where can your fans contact you? Can you provide some contact information?
- We can be directly reached from all of our social media accounts; on Facebook as Carnac and on Twitter and Instagram as @carnacband.
Thanx for the interview
- Thank you!